Follow

Friday 29 March 2013

New targets needed

I entered 2013 with some targets in mind. The targets I had in mind were not race based but time targets and consisted of:

  • Complete a 5km run in under 30 minutes
  • Complete a 1500m endurance swim in under 27 minutes and 30 seconds unaided (ie no pull buoy)
  • Complete a 10km run in under 60 minutes.
Given the difficulties I have had with running I imagined these targets would take me most of 2013 to complete.

How wrong I was.

By the end of January I had completed two of these targets by firstly running 5km in 29:33 and secondly swimming 1500m in 27:09.

I was content in the fact that the sub 1 hour 10km would keep me occupied for most of 2013.

However I am pleased to announce that on Wednesday 27th March 2013 I set off on a scheduled 6 mile run after work and 59 minutes and 29 seconds later had completed 10km. I was overjoyed with this and don't mind admitting to shedding a little tear when I realised I had completed this challenge. 

I believe there were several things that contributed to me beating this record. I think I have finally found some trainers which don't give me blisters.

I now have a pair of Puma FAAS 500 trainers following a visit to Accelarate in Sheffield.

My new understated green trainers
The staff here were very understanding to my problem and put up with me trying on 7 pairs of trainers and running in each of them. I left the shop two hours later the proud owner of two new pairs of trainers and I really hope these have sorted my blister problem. One pair for off road and one for on road. I really can't state how helpful the staff were and would recommend anyone paying the shop a visit.

So aside from new trainer syndrome, there is also the fact that I have been managing to run longer without needing to stop and walk. Over the last month the times I have been running without stopping have increased from 40 minutes to just over an hour. On Wednesday I was feeling strong and reached 5km in just under 30 minutes so thought (excuse my French) f*ck it, plod on and go for it. It wasn't easy and it hurt but I felt so good when I reached the 10km target. This target meant so much to me, I can only compare it to the joy I felt on marrying my wife.

Perseverance really does pay off. If any of you reading this are having a wobble and thinking what's the point, please continue on your quest. The payoffs are more than worth it in the long run.

However I am now in a quandary because, I am sitting here at the end of March with no targets (apart from my races) to keep me entertained for the rest of the year. These targets must be achievable so I thought I would offer you, my readers the option of coming up with some targets for me for the rest of the year. I would prefer if these were time and distance based and ideally not cycle based as cycling is affected by so many things like the wind and weather.

If you have any suggestions for me, please either comment below or tweet me (@Triathlon4Harry).

Thanks in advance,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment