Follow

Sunday 2 November 2014

2 years on

I can't believe it's been two years since I gave up smoking. At todays prices and given I used to smoke 200 cigarettes a week, I would have saved over £8000 if I'd put it all in a jar, but instead I found triathlon. And I am so pleased that I did.

2 years ago I wrote this blogpost http://smoker2triathlete.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-hardest-thing-i-have-ever-written.html
Last year I wrote this blogpost http://smoker2triathlete.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/1-year-anniverssary.html

2 whole years in a new relationship with my lungs and body. I can't believe how much my life has changed in those two years either.

I am now a triathlon coach, have helped set up a new triathlon club which now boasts nearly 100 members, have a love affair with triathlon, have completed triathlons at every distance and finally settled on the distance I enjoy most. I can't wait to see what the rest of my new life has in store for me.

Looking back on my life from two years ago, I spent a lot of time drinking in pubs, eating the wrong food and generally abusing and poisoning my body. Nowadays I spend most of my spare time exercising and I bloody love it.

I love challenging myself and pushing my body to work harder. Yes running is still not my favourite thing but two years ago I couldn't run to the end of the street whereas now I run three or four times most weeks.

The last two years have had their ups and downs but that is life. I am so much healthier since my decision to quit and really enjoy my new found love of exercise.

I am a proud ex smoker, I wish I had found triathlon sooner in my life and stopped poisoning my body sooner.

Every time I see someone smoking I want to scream at them and point out the damage they are doing to themselves and how with some hard work they can achieve one of the best things they will ever do.

Giving up smoking was a life changing moment for me. At times it was hard but it was so worth it. I just wish everyone else still stuck in the trap could see sense.

Thanks for reading,

Michael
A proud ex smoker

1 comment: